28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:
1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.
5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.
7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.
B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.
It's not a bad ideal to print out HB2796 and keep a copy with you when you ride
48cc engine size limit, but as long as you do not tell Law enforcement, they really have no way of knowing what size your motor really is. And the law states 20mph speed limit, but the truth in it you must be under 20mph.
You must obey all traffic laws and ride in the bicycle lane or as far to the right as possible.
Remember, this is a freedom we did not have a few years ago. Be respectful to vehicles and other bicyclist. DO NOT ride on the side walks or the middle of the road. You can register your Motorized Bicycle at the AZ DMV which will allow you to operate your vehicle on the road and not the bikes lanes. You will also not have to obey the 20mph speed limit. But, you will have to have insurance, registration, ect.
It will only take a few bad apples to ruin the freedom of riding our motorized bicycles in Arizona.... SO DON'T RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US!!
Speedometer..... there are cheap and easy to install especially the digital ones, will take less then ten minutes to install.
Helmet.....we do not need to get into the debate about helmets, it's just best to wear one.
Eye Protection....you must wear goggles, sun glasses or prescription glasses to protect your eyes .
Mirror.....install a mirror on your motorized bicycle. They are cheap and easy to install and will let you know whats happening behind you.
Lights.....If you plan to ride at night the law requires you to have lights.